For General Synod 31, Rev. Dr. Barbara Kershner Daniel, Coordinator for Youth@Synod, is placing a new emphasis on integrating youth and their adult chaperones in the business of Synod along with activities designed for youth to connect faith and daily life, issues of justice, as well as leadership opportunities. Throughout our time together, we will explore how God dwells with us wherever we go, says Rev. Daniel. The big difference is those youth who want to participate in Youth@Synod do not have to be part of a formal Youth Group. Any person or group of kids between the ages of 13 and 18 can participate in the Youth@Synod program. The registration fee for this age group is $150 which includes lunches for those participating in the Youth@Synod program.
When the Synod is in plenary, youth will be in plenary. Youth will also be asked to attend committee meetings and hearings on specific topics in order to prepare a youth perspective to the Synod delegates.
Some highlights of what is currently planned for the Youth@Synod 2017:
• Designated youth area in the convention center – designed by Youth attendees! Please plan to arrive by 11:00 a.m. Friday if you would like to help design the space!
• Welcome to Synod and Synod 101
• Work project with a local state environmental center
• After Hours Dance
• Program with the American Visionary Art Museum – "Make Glad -- We Are All Creative"
• The Reformation Today – "Make Glad – Youth and Young Adults Transform the Church and the world." How Youth and Young Adults have been catalysts in peace and justice movements in history and today
• Youth attending Youth@Synod will identify three issues on the Synod agenda to explore in depth and then present a youth perspective of these issues to the plenary.
• Opportunities to hear guest speakers and engage on issues of peace and justice.
• Meet international guests attending Synod
Keep checking the General Synod Website Youth/YA tab for news and exact dates and times!
Sign-in and help create the space. Youth will be encouraged to attend Synod Committee Sessions & Synod Hearings. 9:00 am - 2:00 pm. Youth Hall
Youth will be encouraged to attend Educational Intensives sessions. 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm. Level 300 Meeting Rooms.
Youth attend Opening Worship. 2:30 pm - 3:45 pm. Exhibit Hall F
Youth attend Plenary #1. 3:45 pm - 5:00 pm. Exhibit Hall F
with Adult Pop In speakers. 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm. Youth Hall and Offsite
Youth will be encouraged to attend Synod Committee sessions. 7:15 pm - 10:00 pm. Level 300 Meeting Rooms.
Music, Synod 101, get acquainted, games, evening prayer. 10:00 pm - 10:45 pm. Exhibit Hall G
Gathering Time and Greeting New Arrivals. 7:30 pm - 7:50 am. Youth Hall
Youth attend Plenary #2. 8:00 am - 11:30 am. Exhibit Hall F.
Youth Program Service Project to Gwynn Falls Leakin Park by bus. 11:45 am - 5:00 pm. Youth Hall & Offsite.
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm. Offsite.
Reflect on Service Project and Plenary Issues - Pop In Speakers. Free time. 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm. Youth Hall.
8:30 pm - 10:45 pm. Youth Hall.
8:00 pm - 9:00 am. Youth Hall.
9:15 am - 12:00 pm. Offsite.
12:30 pm - 2:00 pm. Offsite
Youth attend Community Worship. 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm. Exhibit Hall F.
Youth Hall Open - Pop In Speakers. 4:45 pm - 7:00 pm.
Youth attend Plenary #3. 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm. Exhibit Hall F.
10:00 pm - 10:45 pm. Youth Hall.
7:30 am - 7:50 am. Youth Hall.
Youth attend Plenary #4. 8:00 am - 11:45 am. Exhibit Hall F.
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm.
Youth attend Plenary #5. 2:30 pm - 4:45 pm. Exhibit Hall F.
Youth Hall and Offsite - Pop In Speakers. 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm.
Youth attend Plenary #6 and Worship. 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm. Exhibit Hall F.
Goodbyes. 10:00 pm - 10:45 pm. Youth Hall.
7:30 am - 7:50 am. Youth Hall.
Youth attend Plenary #7, Clean Halls. 8:00 am - 12:00 pm. Exhibit Hall F.
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
1:00 pm - 4:30 pm. Hall F & Youth Hall